Re: [LAU] tuning midi to alternative temperaments

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 21:55:59 EET

andy baxter wrote:
> Peder Hedlund wrote:
>> Quoting Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>:

>>> You can't.
>>>
>> Hmm, from reading Mr Ekman's reply, I guess you can... :)
>> But still, it's a feature of the audio player (synth/sampler/whatever)
>> rather than the sending MIDI device.
>>
> I remember reading up on this once, and there are some later revisions
> of the MIDI spec that let you specify alternative tunings for the notes
> in the midi scale. But not all synths will understand the codes for these.

I think Aeolus does alternative tunings by essentially recalibrating its
scale internally. It doesn't change the MIDI notes, though. So would a
synth using soundfonts be able to do the same thing? I presume a
soundfont contains at least one sample for each pitch, probably recorded
at a standard pitch (modern temperament) rather than some other tuning,
so how could such a synth change its scale?

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden