Re: [LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 23 2009 - 09:49:58 EET

fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:24:22AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> Indeed. I think the ll issue is of real importance when recording. At 64
>> ms multitrack recording/playback is a not very satisfying experience.
>
> As long as you are recording sources that originate outside
> the computer (i.e. soundcard inputs, either mics or instruments)
> there *should* be no problem. The DAW needs to shift any
> material recorded while listening to existing tracks by
> the round-trip latency, and for a punch in/out be a bit
> clever with monitoring. All this can be automatic, and
> if done correctly a player will *never* notice any delay.

Musicbox won't be recording anything. My church band has a 20-channel
Firewire device that records all of that to a separate laptop that sits
with the sound board and doesn't have to do anything else.

(Although I might try recording stereo outs from the soundboard once,
just to see how it goes. But wouldn't be using it as a synth at that time.)

> Things get more hairy when using sources generated on the
> PC. But then just playing them with 64ms latency is the
> real problem.

Yah, I'll have to see how it goes.

--
David