Re: [LAU] RME Multiface II via direct Alsa (no Jack)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 24 2009 - 23:06:04 EET

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> From what I've gathered online, I think what I need may be a .asoundrc
> file.  Then again, maybe not:  The asoundrc documentation says that what
> it's doing is basically mapping device/channel names found in
> /proc/asound/devices (sort of the same info you get from 'aplay -L') to
> custom names and routings.  Problem is, the 18 channels of the Multiface
> all show up as *one* PCM device here!  Where are all my subdevices?  For
> that matter, if I did even try to use that one PCM, which channel would
> it come out of?  (Haven't tried it...not really that curious.)

the RME hammerfall/hdsp and related devices have a single PCM
subdevice. you cannot access specific channels of that subdevice via a
device name unless you set up a "route" ALSA plugin pseudo-device
(google will reveal more). Even when you do, using that device will
"own" the entire PCM device - you can't have app A on channels 1 and 2
and app B on channels 3 and 4. My recollection is that if you use
plughw:N to access the device, and just send it 2 channels, they will
be replicated across all channels.

> Other people have asked this before, but most such threads seem to
> always come to "just use Jack."  Is it impossible to directly access
> these devices from Alsa?  I'm not wanting anything fancy here.

Actually, you might want something fancy. It sounds if you want
per-app access to specific channels. ALSA doesn't do that by itself.