Re: [LAU] And now... Beatrix + Aliki + JCONV = Muuaahahahaha!

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 25 2009 - 21:37:42 EET

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 05:47:37PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Friday 25 December 2009 13:35:36 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > Also, note that the convolution outputs 4 channels. You'll need to mix them
> > somehow; in my demo I just sent channels 1 and 4 to the left side, and 2
> > and 3 to the right side.
>
> Probably the outputs need to have their volume modulated with a sinus. And did
> you record the wood of each direction in that direction? If yes, the channels
> back and side channels probably also need delay and some eq'ing to make up for
> the reflection on the backside of the room. In case the leslie is put in the
> corner of the room for maximum effect :-)
>
> I was thinking about that problem for some time, I will take a look and ear at
> your files when I am back home...

Thanks. I was not very precise about the work; it was just a proof of concept. I did it for my enjoyment-- and yours-- and partially in the hope that someone with more engineering experience and a deeper knowledge of acoustics might go and make a more precise and better-documented set of impulse responses from another Leslie somewhere... and hopefully share them too ;-)

The Leslie was the old wooden kind-- I don't know the model number exactly-- and it was indeed in the corner of the room. It was noisy too, and the impulses picked that up.

The room mic was in the opposite corner, diagonal from the Leslie,and flown way up high in the corner near the ceiling. The "back" of the cabinet was facing into the room, as is commonly done live, with the horns, drum, motor, and amp/tubes all facing into the room. It was in the room they use for tracking, so it was well-insulated and fairly "dead".

I don't know the mics, but the horn mics and room mic were nice, expensive condensers (not Oktava's but something similar). I don't recall what the mic was on the drum speaker. This was in a professional studio, and I just instructed the engineer to set it up as he would normally do for a recording session. That meant putting the mics through a tube compressor as well. He thought what I was doing was a little bit crazy, but he was certainly curious about it.

Since I was paying by the hour, and I don't have a lot of money, and I wasn't sure if this'd even work, I kept it to a one-hour session, and just moved through the samples as quickly as I could, so I'm sorry about the lack of precision or documentation.

-ken