Re: [LAU] Linux audio app design: The nature of xruns

From: Guido Scholz <guido.scholz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 28 2009 - 21:17:21 EET

Am Mon, 28. Dec 2009 um 07:24:24 -0500 schrieb lanas:

Hi "lanas",

> From this it is obvious that the application layer helps a lot
> in promoting xruns. It is safe to assume that Qarecord is a
> quick hack. But, there's seemingly a big difference in
> application design regarding the handling of audio/jack stuff
> between Qarecord and Ardour since one produces a festival of
> xruns and the other none.

as far as I understood your experiment, you compared these two setups to
conclude "QARecord is to blame":

  1) noise -> jackmix -> QARecord -> wav-file
  2) noise -> Ardour -> wav-file

For mathematical reasons I would like to get your result from this
alternative setup (also giving better access to a root cause):

  3) noise -> jackmix -> Ardour -> wav-file

Some other interesting information would be, what program versions
(jackmix, QARecord) are you using?

Guido

--
http://www.bayernline.de/~gscholz/