Re: [LAU] Compiling a kernel

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 05:24:05 EET

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I have just put up my steps (and many thanks Cal!) for compiling a kernel:
>
> http://linuxlive.joshuacorps.org/?p=318

Hey Thanks for that!
I taught computer science for 20 years at university and I never
compiled a kernel.
And now as a noob on this list just finished compiling my very own
gleaming new kernel.
I will put up some suggestions questions and (small) corrections in
due course (perhaps on the blog directly?)

But for now one question: How does one quantitatively measure that
one kernel is better than another? eg memory footprint, response time
etc?
My current main use case is nted using timidity using whatever is my
stock laptop hardware.