[LAU] OT: Favorite Project Names

From: Stephen Stubbs <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 04:50:29 EET

My favorite project name was for a project I was lead engineer on for a major computer time-sharing company (using IBM mainframes) in 1980-1983.  It was a project aimed for the coal mining industry, later to be expanded to the hard rock mining industry.  It would take drill hole core data and model what the coal seam or ore body would look like.  Data entry would be done onsite, with the serious number crunching done on the company's IBM mainframes thus generating the time-share revenue for the company. We called the project:  Distributed Reserve and Evaluation Mapping System. Yep,  DREAMS ! The project evaporated when the company finally did some strategic planning and decided it didn't really want to be in the mining industry (and a lot of other industries.)  The other mining engineer on the project was a pipe smoker.  But we didn't think calling the 1 million USD project PIPE-DREAMS would get by upper-level management! Ah, those were the days..... Stephen.