Re: [LAU] Hydrogen 0.9.5-beta1 (discussion)

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 01 2010 - 13:00:38 EET

Sebastian Moors wrote:
> Hi!
>
> just to make sure that nobody gets bored over the Christmas holidays we
> decided to release the first beta version of hydrogen 0.9.5 as a special
> gift for everyone.. This release is meant as a first "public" preview
> and mainly for testing purposes. Here's a quick list of some new
> features:
>
> - non destructive sample editor ( requires rubberband-cli for advanced
> features )
> - a timeline
> - instrument midi out
> - better support for non-ascii filenames ( changed XML-Parser from
> TinyXML to QtXml )
> - piano-roll editor
> - export to ogg, aiff and flac
> - commandline version of hydrogen
>
> The sourcecode and binaries (for Ubuntu 8.04 / 9.04 / 9.10 and Debian
> Sid) are available here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen/files/.
> Please report crashes and other glitches here:
> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/hydrogen/tickets
>
> Merry Christmas to all of you and enjoy your holidays!
> - Sebastian

Thanks.

But can I make an note here?

I saw you're busy making an piano-roll editor for hydrogen. I really
doubt whether that is the right direction for Hydrogen. Especially with
in mind that there are already good midi sequencers on Linux or they are
planned e.g. openoctavemidi, qtractor, ardour3 etc. Also the Hydrogen
team was lacking time and developers for a long time afaik, so why make
it yourself difficult now?

I played yesterday with non-sequencer and hydrogen. I really don't need
another midi sequencer, also not for live cause non-seq is good capable
of doing that... What I do need is an drummachine with a quality as good
as possible. Why not concentrate on that (not easy) task? More functions
makes also the GUI more complex imo and simplicity in use was one of the
powers of Hydrogen.

Why not stick with the one-task-one-tool principle? It's not by
accident that the openoctave team has stripped Rosegarden... I think
with the progress of Ladish there is a great potential for this
principle again.

I'm happy though with the command line option. I also use Linuxsampler
without frontend, that's just great.

All the best,

\r