Re: [LAU] A belated christmas song

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 21:46:56 EET

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 02:25:33PM -0500, Ricardus Vincente wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 11:13 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > In Frank Zappa's autobiography, he describes the time that Dweezil was
> > born in 1971, when the hospital administrator would not admit his
> > wife, who was in labor, until he'd finished filling out a bunch of
> > forms and paperwork. The forms were filled with stupid questions, and
> > he hurried through the process in the best interests of his wife and
> > child.
> >
> > Where the forms demanded he list their "Religion", he wrote
> > "Musician". Seems perfectly good enough to me.
> >
> > I suppose "Gentoo" or "Linux" would work just as well. I might have to
> > list "Debian" for mine, if asked.
> >
> > Others might list the Church of Emacs instead, praise St. IGNUtius.
> >
> > Happy New Year, all!
> >
> > -ken
>
> Was that in The Real Frank Zappa Book?

Yep, that's the one.

> I have to find my copy of that, because he had a REALLY GOOD rant
> against people who think they like music.... as long as it sounds just
> like every other song that goes BOOM... CHUCK... BOOM... CHUCK.

The whole book is basically one big REALLY GOOD rant.

To pick a nit, it was the 80's, so IIRC he wrote "BOOM...CHACK...BOOM BOOM CHACK", otherwise known as "The (early days) R.E.M. Beat", and also used in pop-metal tunes of the day such as Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages".

I suppose nowadays the corrollary would be "OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ" (or "UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE" in many European languages).

> I have been wanting to quote that for years.

Thanks, I always love some Zappa quotes.

-ken