Re: [LAU] n00b help with MUSE, and another thing

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 13:38:07 EET

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 1/6/10, J. Simon van der Walt <tedthetrumpet@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Second, probably stupidly basic and annoying question; as soon as I
>> launch Jack, I lose all sound from the YouTube video I'm trying to
>> watch in Firefox. How does one get around that?
>
> You can probably download the video (there are various scripts around
> that'll do that for you, but usually the simplest way is to watch the
> video in firefox and then rename the resulting /tmp/FlashXXXXXXX
> file), and then play it in a jack-aware media player, such as mplayer.
> Unfortunately, on some distributions, the jack capability is not
> compiled in mplayer.

Mplayer in Debian Lenny has JACK support compiled in. Easiest way to
find out on your distro is to try it:

mplayer -ao jack [media filename]

I use a FF extension called DownloadHelper. Simpler than finding and
renaming the Flash file. At YouTube, DownloadHelper also gives you
option of downloading other, higher quality formats they might offer,
such as MP4 (apparently often used for the HD version of a video).

Kaffeine offers an option to play through JACK. Settings -> Xine Engine
Parameters -> Audio, select jack from the dropdown button.

Standalone Xine can also play through JACK if you don't want to run a
GUI media player.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden