Re: [LAU] A belated christmas song

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 20:04:09 EET

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 05:22:08PM -1000, david wrote:
> Brett McCoy wrote:
> >> And here we go again....
> >>
> >> Anyone here attends the cult of nano?
> >
> > Real Programmers use cat
>
> sed

Back in the early 90's, a friend and I were discussing having to deal with DOS. He said, "EDLIN is not a text editor. EDLIN is a file mangler."

Also, the #debian channel bot used to have a command called "start a flamewar". It had a database of inflammatory comments either praising or disparaging emacs, vi, or various languages. Back when that channel was very noisy and chatty and off-topic, the flamewar command was always good for entertainment. Lately the channel seems to be much more on-topic. Which is probably a good thing.

Religious wars in general are very tedious. I inadvertently started one yesterday whilst reporting a weird Windoze file-permissions problem to a cow-orker, and asked if there was any Microshaftian equivalent to strace and lsof that might help him figure it out. In response, I got a content-free and completely off-topic tirade about Linux binary compatibility-- as if he'd never heard of package managers or distros. Um, whatever man, just fix yer Windoze problem; I don't know how to use "Process Explorer", and I don't ever want to know either.

-ken