Re: [LAU] [Absolutely OT] - for musicians only

From: frank pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 14 2010 - 08:42:22 EET

fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:53:10PM -0500, frank pirrone wrote:
>

>> Wouldn't that be in the key of E, Fons? If so the F# is the II chord,
>> which would typically resolve to the IV, or B7 in that key. That
>> wouldn't be a modulation, it would be a "turn-around," and especially so
>> since the progression continues on with another E.

Fons,

Oops on that IV typo - I actually learned to count to five a long time
ago. That little progression fragment I cited should have been II V
resolving back to I. Anyway, the chord structure for that entire song
file you sent are:

Em Em G G
F F C C
Em Em G G
F F C C
Em Em G G
A A B B
Em Em G G
F#7 G Em Bb
B7 F#7 B7 G
Em Em G G
F F C C
Em Em G G
F F C C
Em Em G G
A A B B
Em Em G G
F F F F
F F F F
F/E F/E F/E F/E
F/E F/E F/E F/E
F/E F/E F/E F/E
E E E E
E E E E
E E E E

with each line being a 4/4 measure and each chord being struck on the
beat, or in the case of those doubled up at least struck the first time
and held for the second. I'm pretty sure of everything through the Fs
at the end, and believe I hear the bass drop into the dissonance of that
add E against the F chord before the whole thing resolves triumphally to
that glorious E major at close.

Frank