Re: [LAU] Intel I5 motherboards

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 14 2010 - 23:58:59 EET

On 14 January 2010 at 13:40, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> My 5 year old AMD64 machine smoked yesterday so I'm looking to
> build something new. On interesting new processor is the Intel I5-661.
> I'm wondering whether very many folks are using Intel motherboard in
> Linux DAWs? I've not used one before for any reason so it's a new
> vendor to me. The model I read about in a test document was the
> DH55TC, but I'm partial to the DH55HC as I need more than 1 PCI slot:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121396
>
> Comments and ideas welcome.

I also had my ABIT-AV8-3rd-Eye motherboard for my Athlon 64-X2
die last Summer. I replaced the motherboard with an old unused
one, an Abit AX8 VIA K8T890. I chose that board because of the
number of its PCI slots as I need one each for my 2 M-Audio Delta
1010 audio adapters. I'm going to try to stay with my same
hardware for now. But, I see a time when there won't be enough
legacy PCI slots in new motherboards to allow for multiple 1010s
in a computer. At that time I might convert to firewire adapters
as the FFADO project has made very good progress from what I can
tell. Please let us know what you choose to do.

Thanks....

--
Kevin