Re: [LAU] Linuxsampler says: " Thread: WARNING, can't assign realtime scheduling to thread!"

From: Guru Prasad B. R. <prasadbrg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 16:53:32 EET

Guru Prasad B. R. wrote:
> Till recently, my linuxsampler setup on this particular system was
> working without (major, noticable) glitches, i.e very few xruns and
> not many dropped notes. Since the past few days, however, I'm seeing a
> host of xruns and buzzes and drop notes.
After (quite!) a bit of trial and error, I figured out how to make the
realtime warning go away. Here's the new end of the
/etc/security/limits.conf file:
|@audio hard rtprio 50
@audio soft rtprio 30
@audio - rtprio 100
@audio - memlock unlimited
@audio - nice -19
# End of file
Not sure whether the 3 rtprio entries are necessary (result of copy
pasting from different howtos on the net...!). message no longer
appears. I look forward to better solutions.

But the xruns remained... until I found the culprit: qjackctl was
spiking CPU. Was about to complain to Rui, then found the source - it
was a python script that I had edited a few days ago... and was spewing
out dozens of warnings per second. Auto-launched from qjackctl, so the
message window was clogging up, and therefore the spikes..! Closed the
message window, and xruns dissappear.

On a side note, I now have ~5.2 ms latency on an old Celeron laptop,
with the vanilla kernel...! Linuxsampler + jackdmp has turned out to be
a rather stable combination. Am getting down to building a proper
realtime kernel, now....
Cheers,

Guru