Re: [LAU] quick follow-on to the RPM2010 thread

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 17:32:58 EET

On Monday 18 January 2010 05:26:46 rosea grammostola wrote:
> frank pirrone wrote:
> > Nobody said it better than Newton in his comment about seeing further by
> > standing upon the shoulders of giants. LOL, we are NOT the giants in
> > that metaphor...well, actually we are but modesty, if not reality,
> > compels me to reject any such characterization.
> >
> > I mean, this is the essence of what was always the academic way, and the
> > scientific way, and the philosophical way...before the Age of
> > Intellectual Property, Copyrights, and Patents. Knowledge built upon
> > freely shared prior knowledge, and tools inspiring the creation of
> > greater tools.
> >
> > We hoped others might build upon our music and anticipated the delight
> > at hearing a remix, or someone substituting their soaring vocals or
> > guitar for my humble efforts. It never happened, but I can't think of a
> > greater "reward" for what we did should it ever.
> >
> > So, think of it as a kit that you can Freely give to anyone who is
> > interested, and who can in turn Freely pass it on, inside which are ALL
> > the parts needed to first do everything we did but more importantly to
> > start at that point and do something we never imagined.
>
> There is at least one difference. Scientists get payed for their
> job/work by the university. Who's gonna pay the musician who is making a
> cd (and is not an live musician)?

This will require some experiments...

Some thoughts:

1. the people who want your fancy, numbered, limited edition boxed sets?
2, the people who want to use it in their blockbuster film which they do not
want to license BY-SA?

See: http://packet-in.org/wiki/index.php?title=Income

for even more thoughts. Basically, I just write lyrics when it comes to music.
So who is going to pay me?

> Playing the advocate of the devil here...

Well.... who is going to pay you for your stuff when so many are doing the
Free thing? Back at ya.... ~;-)

> \r

all the best,

drew