Re: [LAU] M-Audio Axiom 49

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 18:59:43 EET

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have an M-Audio Axiom 49-key keyboard with several trigger pads,
> rotary encoders, sliders, function buttons, and transport buttons.
> Is there a way to program those buttons for various purposes in Linux?
>
> Thanks!

Is there anything particular that doesn't work?

A brief look into the user manual indicates that
only the rotary encoders are assignable, the rest
is fixed.
Assignment is done via the device itself, no editor
software required.

You can use aseqdump or kmidimon or gmidimon
or qmidiroute or ams or [...] to monitor what MIDI
data the axiom spits out.

If the flexibility the axiom provides isn't sufficient
(some apps just accept fixed controller messages,
others let users assign their own), remapping of
MIDI events can be done in software.
qmidiroute, mididings and puredata immediately
come to my mind, there are probably many others.

Search this lists archives, the remapping subject
came up before, e.g. the 'midi capture ...' thread here:
http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2009/12/19/

best,