Re: [LAU] about gvim.

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 20:01:20 EET

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Philippe Hezaine wrote:

> Sorry. A bit [OT].
> Am I right if I say you could install gvim *without* gnome?
> At least it's like that on my Gentoo.
> In this case g means GUI and its dependencies are only GTK+ or even Motif.
> I need a solid confirmation. I can't find this information anywhere.

Yes, it's true. The 'g' in gvim just stands for GUI, not Gnome. I'm
running Gentoo also, and I've compiled it against Motif (because I've
got a fondness for crusty old UNIX vestiges). On FreeBSD, you even get
a compile option to use Athena widgets, if you want that *really* retro
look to your gvim. :) (Gentoo doesn't have the Athena option though.)

Of course, if you compile it manually yourself, you can probably have it
with whatever toolkit they're still supporting upstream, depending on
how you want to ./configure it.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky