Re: [LAU] Ardour 2.8.4 ?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 22:51:42 EET

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:21:46AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Seems to be confirmed. Not a showstopper for me as the
> > remote control is used only in a system where the user
> > doesn't see Ardour at all... Could this be done by OSC
> > as well ?
>
> yes. see libs/ardour/osc.cc for the messages. quite a few people have
> done this with OSC.

I've been testing this, and things work apart from
some oddities:

- 'locate-and-roll' is ignored completely if the
  transport is already rolling.

- the alternative, 'locate' followed by 'play' always
  does the locate part but ignores the 'play' if the
  transport was already rolling while receiving the
  'locate'. In that case Ardour locates and stops.

- 'locate', wait 0.1 seconds, 'play' always works.

This is similar to what I see when using Jack transport
instead: Ardour just ignores a 'play' command in some
cases (e.g. immediately following a locate) or stops
when receiving a locate while playing, instead of
remembering it has to play after having located.

No big deal for interactive use - the user will just
click play again. But for real remote control it's a
pain.

There are other things along the same line: any OSC
'*_toggle' command is useless unless you know the current
state of the thing being toggled. That's possible only
by looking at the GUI, and in that case you don't need
remote control.

A reliable remote control protocol either has to provide
feedback, or be usable blindly wich means it must never
throw away a command just because it can't be obeyed
without delay.

Ciao,

--
FA