Re: [LAU] MIDI & real instruments combined in Ardour

From: Danni Coy <danni.coy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 14:59:03 EET

> What would be a good "jack-transport aware sequencer app" to use with
> the MIDI drumset (which has sound module) and the MIDI
> keyboard/controller (which I think depends on software for the variety
> of sounds)?

For drums Hydrogen is always a popular option - try and get the latest
release if at all possible.

> ...I mean something other than PianoTeq. (No offense to anyone
> advertising that but I cannot spend that $$$ right now.) :-\

Your other options for a piano sound are, a giga sample file + linux sampler
or sound font + qsynth. If I remember correctly somebody posted a piano
soundfont here some time in the last year or so (search the archives).

For more synthy sounds I would take a good look at Yoshimi which is a
version of Zynaddsubfx which is being made more realtime friendly.