Re: [LAU] oh yoshimi, one more time

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 29 2010 - 21:39:51 EET

Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:24:51 -1000
> david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Folderol wrote:

>>> Cant repeat that here. Are you using jack-midi or alsa-midi? I'm using
>>> alsa-midi.
>>> I can stick both arms down flat across the keyboard without it
>>> disconnecting - get rather a lot of xruns though!
>> Hmmm, I've noticed that if I have a lot of notes going (play fast scales
>> with sustain pedal down), adding new notes will cut off existing ones.
>
> That's normal behaviour and dependent on the number of notes of
> polyphony set at compile time ( haven't a clue what the default is) and
> the release time of the notes.

Yoshimi is set for 256, I think that's the default.

>> Last night I was playing something into Rosegarden, and noticed that
>> sometimes a run of notes simply wouldn't happen - appear in Rosegarden
>> or play through Yoshimi.
>
> If they don't even appear in Rosegarden then I wonder if you've got
> MIDI set up correctly. Is it a USB keyboard? I believe they are
> inclined to have latency problems and you might just be overfilling the
> 'pipe' :o

It's a MIDI keyboard (Yamaha PSR225GM) without USB capability. The
XMidiPort provides 2 standard MIDI cables at one end and a standard USB
connector at the other. It is connected into a USB hub that has a number
of other things connected to it (none in active use).

>> I didn't get any xruns, and didn't see any messages from JACK about any
>> problems.
>>
>> Using JACKDMP using alsa-midi (E-Mu XMidiPort 1x1 over USB 2 port and an
>> external USB sound card hooked to a different USB port). Yoshimi 0.053.2.
>
> Looks even more like a straight MIDI problem.

I'll have to try it without Yoshi running.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden