Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 11:02:48 EET

On 01/30/2010 07:26 PM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> I'm continually surprised and amazed at how many people on this list
>> take a chance to have a go at something when they have not given it more
>> than a brief shot. Claim it it the originators fault and then start
>> making jokes about how crap it is.
>>
> Listen: I downloaded your track played it back with vlc. Listened to the
> first 2 minutes and all I hear is a fm-like wobble. I then skip through
> the piece (lasting 80 minutes) and no matter where I listen I hear wobble.
>
> Either your file is broken or it's very experimental (I doubt the
> latter), don't tell me I'm insulting you! At least
> check/reencode/mp3ize/upload-on-soundcloud/anything the file before you
> insult me!

I have verified that what Will is hearing is what I am presenting.

To be honest I am insulted.

Not because of your comment that the track was experimental. Coming from
you that is kind of a compliment.

But because of your lack of feedback on what I might do to clean up the
sound to make it more palatable for a wider audience.

Anyway, I am resigned to this track not being received well and I will
have to do the required tweaks under my own direction.

At least it is not my favourite track in the session. Perhaps my next
track will get a better reception now that the ice has been broken.

BTW, I'm not looking for approval. That will be a nice addition if it
happens. I'm seeking a purely technical discussion of what can be done
to clean up the sound for a wider range of audio systems.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd