Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 11:43:04 EET

On 01/30/2010 08:32 PM, Marius Stoica wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to add a few words.
> When I first listen to your soundfile I was very disappointed (I said
> to myself that this is an excess of intention or just a buggy
> soundfile), but after reading the other mails I definitely think that
> this is something to be criticized.
>
> No offense, but here it goes:
>
> You can not advertise something to be something that it isn't. I mean,
> sorry, but did you even read the article about tech house on Wikipedia
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techhouse> or the Ishkur's guide to
> electronic music <http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/> sound
> examples on tech house. And you can not say that this file is just
> "unprocessed", I mean if you look at the waveform and listen to the
> sound there's obviously something wrong with it, a codec problem or
> just a bad recording.

The track has issues in it's unprocessed form. That's why I asked for
suggestions on what to do to clean it up and bring out the sound. If you
look at it in an audio visualisation app you will see there is a huge
amount of variety in the soundscape. It's all there just waiting to be
brought out.

> My belief is, although experimenting with linux audio can be a very
> consistent and creative result, this doesn't mean that you can easily
> get a piece of music or even a piece of noise and show it to anyone. I
> love noise, drones and experimental sound, but also in this case the
> redundancy its something hard to avoid and an art to achieve.

I tried to make it clear that it is an experimental
synthesised/generative piece. I was figuring that a bunch of hardened
Linux Audio peeps would be a receptive audience and possibly enjoy the
challenge of bringing out the sounds that are hidden in the track.

> Patrick, you should be honest about your soundfile and you should try
> to be more careful and respectful when you want a feedback from the list.

The feedback I got from the list was pretty much that I presented I load
of bollocks and I am wasting peoples time and apparently their bandwidth
too by offering up my art for serious criticism.

> That was on my mind...
> I wish you all the best and a lot of fun with linux audio stuff

Cheers for taking the time to offer some constructive criticism.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd