Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 07:51:32 EET

On 01/31/2010 03:21 PM, michael noble wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden <mailto:pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:

> I tried to work with splitting up the frequency range a bit. It's
> a bit of a hassle to arrange. Does anyone know of something like a
> 30 band parametric which can output 30 channels of stereo? That
> would be a handy tool.
>

> Not exactly what you are after, but FreqTweak is good for
> experimenting with this kind of processing. If you find a frequency
> band and filter combination that works you can then replicate in
> ardour with a ladspa chain from a bandpass filter. At least that's how
> I'd approach it.
>
> -omjn

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot but it didn't really help.
Instead I used a glame butterworth lowpass fed into a butterworth
highpass to isolate the bass end and a highpass feed into a low pass to
isolate the middle/high end. I sent that into the swh 3 band parametric
eq. That combo has isolated and boosted the most important sounds a lot
but it now sounds like the track has been botoxed :-)

Anyway, I am uploading the result. Will be finished in 5 mins. This one
is on a DnB tip. I'm interested in suggestions for how to make it more
interesting. Does it need a drum track, vocals, other samples added?

http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/ascension/ascension_headspace.ogg
60MB - 76mins

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey