Re: [LAU] Declination: Music made with Linux

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 23:09:27 EET

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 10:35 -0500, David Santamauro wrote:

> Well, I fall into the latter category, I guess. Nevertheless, I'd be
> interested to know *how* you made it. In particular, how did you get
> those levels so "hot"? What kind of effects, synths, mastering (if any)
> etc.

Righty, I've had a mixture of on- and off-list replies, most of them
positive but one or two singularly humourless ones - to which I would
say that if you can't take a joke you may be in the wrong place.

Okay, here's what I did. I took a bit from a thing I'm working on and -
as becks guessed - timestretched it with rubberband (I love that, you
get these complex evolving textures from just about *anything*).

The actual samples came from my Novation Xiosynth, recorded, cut up and
loaded into Specimen. You can get the samples and specimen bank file
here:
http://lovesthepython.org/~gordonjcp/xiodrums.tar.bz2
They are free as well as Free, released under the WTFPL. Enjoy them,
and if you use them in a track that makes you exceptionally rich and
famous do please credit me in the sleeve notes.

I drove Specimen with Seq24, with a fairly simple drum pattern and
switched layers of sounds on and off. I recorded it into Ardour,
slapped a bit of EQ, pingpong delay and reverb on, and exported it.

You can hear the unstretched track here:
http://lovesthepython.org/~gordonjcp/declination2.ogg
(1.2M, 0:1:33, 122bpm)

Patrick, I'm sorry you didn't take my original post in the spirit in
which it was meant. I realise that not everyone "gets" the typically
dark and satirical Scottish sense of humour (Russians and Scandinavians
do, Americans generally don't). Oh well, if you post an hour-long
recording of a car alarm with some reverb on it, what do you expect?

Gordon MM0YEQ