Re: [LAU] Creating a MIDI file

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 00:17:40 EET

On Saturday, January 30, 2010, lanas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Our younger son, who is doing stuff with Blender, has asked me to
> create a simple .mid file. I have ni idea how to do that. I regularly
> use jackd, Ardour, Seq24, jamin, Qsynth, zyn, and such although up to
> now I never create a .mid file. I guess I could make a sequence in
> Seq24, perhaps using two or three Qsynth instruments. From there, how
> would a .mid file be created ? And how can I specify that I want that
> and that instrument out of 2 or 3 playing these and these notes ?
>
> Cheers.

Seq24 saves MIDI files, with each pattern as a track. It adds some events
containing private data, but the files are readable by other programs. As an
example, you can open with KMidimon a file saved by Seq24 and watch the saved
tracks and events. For me, it is easier to use Rosegarden or Muse to create
MIDI files, though.

To change instruments from within Seq24, you can insert program change events
("Event" button, "[0xC0] Program Change") in the pattern editor.

Regards,
Pedro