Re: [LAU] VocProc - vocal processing app

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 12:59:20 EET

On Monday 01 February 2010 11:11:21 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Atte, please! You can compile sources by hand and don't know how to do
> > "update-alteratives --help"? Or even running "update-alternatives"
> > without anything to get the same help-text?
> Yes, I do, but I've always feared what happened if I just did what I
> thought might be the right thing. For some reason I always had "this
> thing" with building QT-apps, and I rarely use update-alternatives
> anymore, call my lazy or lucky :-)
>
> So I was hoping you could show me the correct one liner to get me
> started. My guess is:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --set qmake /usr/bin/qmake-qt4
>
> I felt a little adventurous (maybe due to your "please"), so I went
> ahead and tried with my fingers crossed, and now VocProc builds :-)
>
> Am I right to asume that the only things my update-alternatives command
> did was change the symlink in /etc/alternatives/qmake to point to
> usr/bin/qmake-qt4 touching *no other* files on my system?

Yep, update-alternatives only does changes in /etc/alternatives. It doesn't
even mess around with stuff in /usr, which in case of alternatives is just
links to /etc/alternatives. Meaning if you have virtual or disk-less machines
that use the same root-directory from a server, all can have their own
alternatives set (because the /etc directory should be writeable and custom to
each installation).

Instead of "--set" you could also have used "--config" which presents you with
a nice list of the available alternatives and lets you choose one (or go on
with the current)...

Have fun,

Arnold