Re: [LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 20:29:14 EET

On 1 February 2010 at 2:11, alexander <axeldenstore@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Like many others here I have a zoom too, I got the newer h4n
> tho. All in all they are quite similar I've only briefly tried
> the h4. The preamps are suppose to be less noisy in the newer
> one but I suspect the difference is quite insignificant. These
> devices are not made to make super high quality recordings of
> quiet sources but you should get away with a moderately played
> acoustic guitar, from a distance of, say 60cm.. using a pair of
> condenser mics with good output levels should also yield better
> result.

Do you know if the Zoom units are less noisy when using the line
inputs? I might want to use an H2 as a USB card with my laptop
to digitize my record album collection so that I don't have to
drag my turntable into my studio and use my Delta 1010. I'm sure
the latter would give me really good results though.

> With the h4n you can also use a special 4track mode to record 4
> tracks simultaneously, internal mics + external inputs.

Very interesting feature in a hand-held unit.

> All in all it's a device well worth the money paid. I tried it
> as an interface too, I couldn't get it running full duplex,
> ie. I had to use my internal card as output.

Interesting. I wonder whether it's the driver or the recorder.
Do you know if the Zoom units will run full-duplex on other
operating systems?

> And I only got buffer size down to 512frames 2 periods @
> 48khz. However, I don't run an rt kernel atm..

Even so, isn't 512 frames and 2 periods fairly good?

Thanks!

--
Kevin