Re: [LAU] CENSORING public archives (Was: Problem post)

From: Marc-Olivier Barre <marco@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 15:50:01 EET

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:07:13 +0100, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 February 2010 13:29:05 Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
>> First of all, let me remind you, and every linux-audio-user member out
>> there that the archives *ARE PUBLIC*, and thus what you post here will
be
>> eventually readable by the *WHOLE WORLD*.
>>
>> Deleting the post is not going to happen, I am only willing to censor
the
>> one post that poses an issue provided the name of the company is
>> mentioned
>> on a censor banner inside the post. The least we can do with such a
case
>> is
>> add a little public humiliation to this.
>>
>> Also I would like to say that this is the one and only time that this
>> happens. Next time, the original poster will face the legal
>> consequences. I
>> hope this is crystal clear to every one reading.
>
> I am mixed with this.
>
> On one hand this is a _very_ good reminder for us people that this list
is
> in
> fact public and not controlled by the senders. Everything you write
_will_
> show up on the whole internet and will be pretty hard to suppress, its
not
> only these archives but also copies in search-engines caches and other
web
> archives... (Not even talking about peoples personal archive in their
in-
> boxes.)

Yup, I forgot to mention public copies of the archives in my post.

> On the other hand it might be that then lawyers come after you, Marc, or
> the
> linux audio consortium as you are running the list and could therefore
be
> responsible for stuff published there. Even if we "sign" some paragraphs
> on
> subscription to indemnify you in case of trouble, it could still be you
> who
> gets the first letters from lawyers and you then have to sent your own
> lawyers
> after us...

I don't know what the American laws have to say about this... IANAL
anyways...

> Unless this list runs on some anonymous server somewhere in the
technology-
> pendant of the third world and there are no names connected, I would
> follow
> this bidding (and every following one when lawyers and technology are
> involved) and only ask for some donations to either the linux audio
> consortium
> for technical expenses or for charity projects.

I will follow the bidding. Just wanted to make the request and decision
public, and eventually start an interesting debate on this matter. Everyone
grab your pop corn :)

> Of course when people just want their own rude posts deleted, I would
> definitely not do it.

Indeed.

Cheers,

--