Re: [LAU] 2 keyboard independet live voice change

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 19:41:28 EET

On Friday 29 of January 2010 22:26:13 Folderol wrote:
> Now, without in any way detracting from Rosegarden :) what would be
> interesting would be some form of program/script that could be set up
> so that multiple incoming MIDI streams could be redirected to
> different channels of different synths, each with a single (user
> definable) dedicated key press.

You can do this sort of thing (and a lot more) with mididings [1]. It
allows you to define an arbitrary number of patches, each with its own
routing and processing, and switch between these patches using any MIDI
or OSC controller (typically MIDI program changes).

By the way, your little trick to prevent the synth from receiving note-
off messages is not going to work with mididings ;)
When you switch to another patch, subsequent note-offs will still go to
the right synth. This way you can switch patches at any time, with no
risk of stuck notes!

There are of course other (possibly even better) ways to achieve a
similar result. In fact, your question prompted me to add support for
latched notes to mididings.
Just as a quick example, the attached small script will split the
keyboard at 'c3' (middle C), and route both regions to different output
channels. Additionally, the lower part will be latched, so notes are
held until the same key is pressed again. And in case you forgot which
notes are still playing, pressing 'c1' will release all latched notes.

Cheers,

Dominic

[1] http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/