Re: [LAU] n00b help with MUSE, and another thing

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 05 2010 - 11:26:24 EET

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:39 PM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Viktor Mastoridis wrote:
>>     as soon as I
>>
>>     launch Jack, I lose all sound from the YouTube video I'm trying to
>>     watch in Firefox. How does one get around that?
>>
>>     tia
>>
>> My personal solution for this problem is DUAL BOOT.
>> I use Ubuntu for youtube, emails, accounting and similar
>
> Hmmm. I download the YouTube video (Download Helper is very useful for
> that) and watch it in mplayer. I have mplayer set to output to JACK, so
> I get to hear YouTube's idea of quality sound through JACK. Many times,
> I'm not sure why I bothered ... ;-)
>
> I believe you can also play Flash videos in a web page through JACK if
> you have your browser set to use xine to play the video, and set xine to
> play audio through JACK.

I would like to ask -- when one uses jack on a pulseaudio-oriented
system (like recent ubuntus) what is the configuration that is
correct: eg

h/w <-> alsa <-> pulseaudio <-> jack <-> ardour etc (audio apps)

Or

h/w <-> alsa <-> jack <-> pulseaudio <-> ardour etc (audio apps)

Or
some other combo

Or
My question is wrong :-)

My Setup: Ive two machines: ubuntu and debian
I had to upgrade the ubuntu from hardy to karmic because hardy did not
work with projectors
Ive upgraded debian from lenny to squeeze (well almost) because lenny
seems to be the only debian without ardour.
The ubuntu brought in pulseaudio which is a headache
With the debian I guess I need to learn how to use jack

Thanks!