Re: [LAU] gentoo pain

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 05 2010 - 16:50:25 EET

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 5:55 AM, james morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net> wrote:

> I've started trying to get a RT pre-empt system using Gentoo. It's
> painful. Spent most of my time so far just trying to boot a custom
> kernel which I had zero problems with in Debian.
>
> Is the pro_audio overlay any good? does it have the latest s/w?
>
> Before I built a custom 2.6.31-rt20 kernel, I used the pro_audio overlay
> to get rt-sources which gave 2.6.16 which seems ancient.
>
> Would anyone actually recommend gentoo for setting up an RT audio system?

The pro-audio overlay is fine and running Gentoo as an audio platform
has worked well for me for years. Yeah, Gentoo is work, but it's so
stable that I would be hard pressed to give it up.

I do not understand your comment about 2.6.16. That would be ancient
but I don't see it. Build 2.6.31.12-r20.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions if you need to.

Cheers,
Mark

firefly ~ # emerge -pv rt-sources

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-kernel/rt-sources-2.6.31.12-r20 USE="-build
-symlink" 0 kB [1]

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [1] /usr/local/portage/layman/pro-audio
firefly ~ #