Re: [LAU] Retrieving audio info from a video file

From: Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 09 2010 - 13:12:30 EET

On 02/09/2010 10:38 AM, Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> Jonathan Gazeley<jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is slightly OT for the group, but I hope someone can tell me.
>>
>> I have thousands of large AVI files and I want a quick way to determine
>> from the command line whether their audio is stereo, 5.1, etc.
>>
>> I've read about ffmpeg and haven't seen anything jumping out at me, and
>> it's hard to pick the right search keywords to find relevant pages on
>> Google.
>>
>> Anyone know a trick to get this info? Currently I can do it by
>> right-clicking on the file and viewing its properties, but there *has*
>> to be a better way...
>>

> maybe "mplayer -frame 0 -identify myfile.avi" ?
>

>> Cheers,
>> Jonathan
>>
> HTH
> Ciao

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately this seems to require a graphical
machine, but I'm trying to run this on a headless fileserver that has
all my media.

[jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ mplayer -frame 0 -identify movie.avi
Creating config file: /home/jonathan/.mplayer/config
Unknown option on the command line: -frame
Error parsing option on the command line: -frame
MPlayer SVN-r29701-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
Jonathan