Re: [LAU] OT: talent and craftsmanship [was: Re: OT: Dub Fx]

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 16:42:04 EET

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Viktor Mastoridis
<viktor@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Nice topic:-)
>
> to me, a talent is a gift, something (an ability?) )that a person has in
> one's genes.
>
> you can develop the talent through work and become a craftsman.
>
> You can become a craftsman without a talent
>
> Thus, craftsmanship is not a talent, a gift - it's something that we achieve
> with our will and through effort.
>
> you can't develop a talent if you don't possess it.
>
> They say: 5% talent, 95% work.

1) most of us don't know what are talents are
2) "genius is 90% perspiration, 10% inspiration"
3) some recent estimates are that it takes about 10,000 hours (*) of
just about anything to master it. this is said to be independent of
"talent".
4) if you think you can become a craftsman through will and effort
alone, you probably haven't tried to become a craftsman in anything
that you lack talent for.

(*) thats about 5-6 years, working 40hrs a week on a discipline