Re: [LAU] 1980's cds: analog to digital conversion

From: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 13 2010 - 07:44:44 EET

> I've noticed that I do indeed have some aversion to the cd-version of
> records I otherwise liked on another format (i.e. vinyl or cassette.)
>
> So why are there cds that I think actually do sound good?
>
> How has this process changed?

The most common reason is that because vinyl records don't have a flat
response, vinyl has a preempahsis applied to the HF. Sometimes the
preemphasis was applied during cutting, sometimes it was applied to
the tape master before cutting. When early CDs were pressed, they
were often pressed from the vinyl masters and if the preemphasis was
on the master, boom, harsh gritty super-over-bright CD.

Monty