[LAU] sound advice please

From: Hamish <sub_acoustic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 02:26:35 EET

It's a little confusing what's happened to the mailing list...

Anyway i hope someone can offer some sound advice. For years my music
making has been curtailed and frustrated by the bad luck and dead ends
linux audio has taken me to. Drawn to linux by the democratic ethic,
and paranoia of a closed future, but not being a technical human I've
been stumbling through various combinations of gear for the past few
years...though this hiatus has made me a better guitarist and given me a
clearer vision of what i want to achieve once I have a working setup...

I've been through 3 soundcards and confusing advice from the ALSA
soundcard matrix that originally said my old M-Audio Quattro was
supported (it wasn't), a pcmcia card that was but with frustrating
results and a firewire device that wasn't fully though it wasn't for
months and months that I realised it was the stupid ricoh firewire
chipset in my laptop that was to blame....

Anyway, finally i have enough cash to invest in a new laptop, and other
gear if needed. I'd like some sound advice on what i need for a solid
setup...obviously i'm not a true computer person and I'd like things to
be as simple as possible...

Stuff I have...

a five year old laptop...(probably on it's way to a good home)
a Presonus firebox
a Zoom H4
about £500/$1000US

What I'd like

a solid working setup with no more hassle...
64 studio (I'll happily pay for support) or Transmission 3.0 (I'm not a
purist)
something portable, mobile, immune to x-runs and crashes
something i can record/play/mash with many effects

something portable and powerful
either dual core 64 bit laptop
or even a netbook if it would do the trick...
(though it looks difficult to find firewire these days)

i envision mainly using lots of live samples via midi, guitar, vocals,
found sound, supercollider, sooperlooper, ardour and maybe some other
generative apps...the linux audio universe is so rich but i want to keep
things semi-simple

Any advice appreciated

Hamish