Re: [LAU] Splitting a midi file into measures.

From: Emiliano Grilli <emiliano.grilli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 12:13:51 EET

Oivvio Polite <mylists@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> I'm looking for a commandline tool to manipulate midi files
> programmatically. One thing I want to be able to do is extract a range
> of measures from a midi file, then repeat than range 10 times and put
> the results onto a new midi file. It's alright if I have to do a
> *little* programming rather then just giving commandline options.

Two tools come to mind:

First one is midish
http://caoua.org/midish/

The other is the MIDI-Perl module:
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/midi-perl/

This script for example does split SMF by track:
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/midi_splitter.pl

The problem I see with moving ranges of measures in MIDI files is that
some commands might be issued at the beginning of the SMF, such as
program changes, controller changes, sysex and so on...: those might be
lost after an operation like you are describing.

BTW, if you end up with something we'll be glad if you share your
results :)

> oivvio

HTH
Ciao