[LAU] Motu Midi Express XT - parallel interface - ALSA

From: Rob Wentz <wentzr@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 20:24:09 EET

I am one who tends to NOT use vsts or software synths, as i have real synths
i prefer playing and composing on. For now when i sequence my midi gear I am
using my midi express XT to interface all my gear w/ cubase under win xp
(gasp).... I love using trackers and a variety of other sample based
sequencers and am fine doing that in linux osx or win... however i'd love to
be able to compose with my midi gear in linux.

I've heard for years Motu devices simply don't work under linux. However the
Alsa project web site lists mark of the unicorn devices, namely the model I
own as a compatible "sound card" (interesting as it's not a sound card by
any stretch), see
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Mark_Of_The_Unicorn

I have followed the setup directions up on
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-mtpav

but hit a brick wall at setting up modprope and kmod support. Under either
ubuntu studio 9.10 or AVLinux 3 I simply do not have a /etc/modules.conf OR
/etc/conf.modules. additionally.. sudo apt-get modutils brings up an error
(E: Invalid operation modutils) and i see no modutils in synamtic for either
distros.

Has anyone had any amount of success *they can speak to* with getting a motu
parallel midi interface working under any linux kernel? I'm not married to
any particular kernel at the moment, I use quite a few to get any number of
different tasks on any one of my pcs or macs, so any suggestions would be
welcome!

Thanks so much!