Re: [LAU] netjack1/2

From: Aurelien <tyranorl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 19:06:31 EET

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 03:45:37PM -0500, David Santamauro wrote :
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 03:49:58 +0100
> torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:15:05PM -0500, David Santamauro wrote:
> > >
> > > After reading that last post about the distributed studio[1], it
> > > made me think of how network transfer of 40 channels of audio into
> > > and out of up to 6 machines is possible.
> > >
> > > As a simple test, I wired 2 machines over a 10/100Mb connection,
> > > private network, 1 router and 1 switch. I fired up the tools as
> > > described in the how-to[2] then opened up xmms, wired it to netjack
> > > (on the client) and routed the server netjack to my main outs...
> > > sounded great! until I noticed xruns occasionally.
> > >
> > > So I guess my question is simply: is netjack2 really that capable
> > > and if so, what are the tweaks involved to get seemless audio using
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Does anyone here use netjack2 ... and if so, what is the primary
> > > purpose?
> >
> > are you running the slave jackd with -S ?
> > thats necessary.
> > [insert some random bitching about netjack2 here]
> >

> Just closing this topic off in case someone stumbles upon it from an
> internet search: I monitored my network traffic and found mountd
> transmitted, I think every 20s, from port 771 to 2049 and that
> coincided with my xruns. I umounted my 2 NFS drives and haven't had an
> xrun since -- at least not with 2 channels.

Actually, I re-open it!

I use netjack2 for weird purposes which doesn't share any audio stream,
actually. Only MIDI and jack_transport sync, finally.
Though, I sometimes get xruns, which can be stopped by unloading the
netmanager, and relaunching everything on the slave machine (which runs
with the -S mode), and then reloading netmanager.
Couldn't find what it came from.....

Another question: does the -S option influes on the whole system
latency, or only on the slave to master latency? Cause, by now, I just
feel my latency to have increased a bit since I've switched to jackdmp.
It's a bit hard to compare, as it seems like latency isn't computed the
same way (for the same buffer settings, it now display 1ms, or even 0!,
where it before displayed 4ms).
But I'm pretty sure I'm not under 5ms latency, as I feel it playing bass
(didn't try by now on drums, which are the really thing which counts!).

Thanks.
Aurélien