Re: [LAU] Fractally fuzzy music?

From: Peter Geirnaert <peter.geirnaert@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 13:25:46 EET

Hi weirdo's

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:19:34 -1000
> david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've thought about a "music" in which notes might have "fractal
> > fuzziness" to them - for example, what looks like a quarter note is
> > really 8 simultaneous (or non-simultaneous) 32nd notes, each having a
> > frequency that is some fractally-derived distance from the base quarter
> > note's frequency, and perhaps their timing/duration could also be
> > fractally derived ... I don't suppose someone knows of such a thing
> > already being done?
>
> Sounds an interesting idea, but I would think it'd be a nightmare to
> produce!

Reminds me of these 2 open-source projects:
http://rationale.sourceforge.net and http://www.rubato.org

Here's a description about Rubato someone sent me a while ago: (:-))

Quote:
"The Rubato project is actually a Mathematical Category Theory
computational/logic framework/language with a music interface. It is pretty
hairy, even after having read Mazzola's book and his student's
dissertations.
It could certainly stand some examples.

Apparently, the Rubato project started at CERN (Yeah, the Swiss giant
physics
thing!) and the idea underlying it is that music is a language. Language,
not
in the imprecise way ordinary humans create and understand music, but a
language
capable of precise expression of multidimensional physical and mathematical
concepts. A natural question would be WHO (or What?) would use such a
language?
 Of course, then one wonders how the Europeans could be convinced to fund
and
build the facilities at CERN as it represents a big fraction of the GDP and
available energy resources? It starts to bring to mind movies like 'Close
Encounters of the Third Kind' and 'Contact'.

I have not been in direct contact with the Rubato group as first I wanted to
determine if this stuff was real or bullshit. Odds are that it is real, or
at
least some of it is.

The whole Mathematical Category area is really strange. First the ages of
many
of the key authors - you'll have to discover that for yourself because it is
the
only way you will believe it. Then their is the apparent aversion to
concrete
examples which lends an air of mystery about it all. And then the places
these
guys just happen to show up and when.

It is funny where an interest in music and audio synthesis can lead!"

I didn't really investigate this kind of software any further, but if you
do, please share the insights/results.
I'd love to know more about it!

Cheers,
Peter