Re: [LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <bearcat@email-addr-hidden-soul.net>
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 23:21:50 EET

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 25 February 2010 19:27:11 Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
>
>> I'm an audio lover that prefers smaller speakers in smaller spaces and i
>> don't need/want 5-8 speakers in my listening space. I have found that i
>> prefer the effect of vocals/sound effects that are mixed in center in
>> stereo speakers, over a center channel. It sounds more natural and
>> rounded to me.
>> I would think that the same thing could be done in the rear speakers of
>> course and also front to back by adjusting the front-back balance of
>> sounds.
>> Couldn't one create the sound of a fly moving through out a room simply
>> by adjusting the balance of 4 speakers?
>> If so why do we need more than 4 speakers?
>>

> You want to take a look at ambisonics.
> In short: Yes we need more then two/four channels. But the standard 5.1-7.1
> systems of dvd/blueray are not the way to go.
>
> The smaller the distance between the speakers, the better the imaging of
> sources "between" them. That can be increased up to the level wave-field-
> synthesis does with arrays of speakers (all independently driven).
> But that needs full-range channels of equal importance. The current standard
> in movies is to use different channels for different parts of the sound
> (music/speach/ambient) which make for nice numbers of speakers, but isn't
> really using them...
>

>> I have an audio system for which i'd like to set up 4 channels. I have 2
>> Anthony Gallo Acoustic Reference 3.1s and would like to swap them out
>> for 4 Stradas and 4 subs (with some extra money of course).
>>

> Sounds pricey. And sounds over-priced. You will be surprised how good a
> "simple" active alesis monitor with some drc sounds...
>

>> If i do that and play back a 5.1 or 7.1 movie soundtrack or music disc
>> what am i going to not have vs a full 5 or 7 channel set up?
>> Will things down-mix properly (using pulse audio for reference)?
>>

> pa will just tell the movie player that is has four channels. Its then up to
> the movie player to do the right thing. But mplayer for example does the down-
> mix right. And if not, you can configure that via a plugin...
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold
>
> ---------
(my email client at work does not to replies well so i'm doing so down
here.
Thanks. I've been looking into ambisonics and that's actually what i was
thinking of in this 4 channel set up. It sounds difficult to set up and
will take a lot of learning.

Regarding the speakers:

Actually, they are fairly cheap as far as higher end speakers go. I like them quite a lot given their price/performance point.

It sounds like i'd do fine with 4 channels in a small space even when playing back hollywood surround sound material.