[LAU] Intel graphics chipsets and realtime

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 07:38:57 EET

I'm getting ready to buy a Sony VAIO VGN-NW330F/S laptop with an Intel
GMA 4500MHD graphics chipset. I know many people have reported that the
closed nVidia driver has at times been hell on realtime kernels.

Is the Xorg driver for this recent Intel graphics chipset known to be a
problem in any similar way to what has been seen with the nVidia driver?
I have heard that Intel's recent integrated graphics chipsets are
starting to have better graphics performance than before back when they
were just for a functional display and not much more, but also I'd like
it to behave with audio too.

Or any thoughs on recent Sony laptops for Linux in general?

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky