Re: [LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 13:08:41 EET

On 02/26/2010 11:27 AM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:06:42AM +0100, Florian Faber wrote:
>
>>> I am thinking about adding a 5.1-to-ambisonics mixer/panner to move the
>>> specialized channels with their defined positions to virtual sources in my
>>> ambisonics surrounding. Don't know if that works out...
>>
>> 5.1 is not about proper physical modelling of sound sources, but more
>> about producing a 'sound experience'. This can mean, for example, that
>> the audio engineer creates a 2.0 mix and puts some ambience on the rear
>> channels. It will be a completely different beast and in my experience
>> it sounds worse than a pure 5.1 playback.
>
> Nothing magical will happen if you pan the 5.0 signals into
> a 3rd or higher order AMB system. The results is just five
> virtual speakers reproducing 5.0.

i have a vague hope that something magical will indeed happen: the
sources will be less focused on the speakers, but a lot better for all
other positions (which is what matters), and i think there's a chance
that the perceived sweet spot is a lot larger than for discrete
playback. it sure is in my subjective perception - i'm putting together
some listening tests to get other people's opinion about this and see if
it makes sense.