Re: [LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 23:14:53 EET

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 11:51 +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 10:24 PM, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> what is your intention? from your initial post, it sounded like you want
> to do away with the center, and do 5.1 playback over a square of
> speakers? what kind of material do you want to listen to?
Jörn,

I would like to hear the original recording in such a way that the
natural space of the original recording comes through. What i want is
that feeling when your walls dissapear sonically and you are suddenly
inside the church that the choir was done in, or in the small club that
the sax player is playing in ect. Obviously this will only happen with
live and well done recordings.

>From reading so far, i gather that ambiosonics can accomplish this by
retrieving the ambiance that the mics picked up during recording, even
on stereo sources.

My only experience so far with center speakers has been discrete
surround in movies or 5.1 music where, yes the performer in question is
in the center, but sounds canned there. They are *placed* in the center,
locked in place, and sound rather like a canned voice. Most of the time
it seems like i should not be hearing them in the center, but a few
inches off (or even feet) off center sometimes as thats where they were
standing relative to the mics. The center speaker locks them in place
and two stereo speakers do not.

So i'm looking for a natural reproduction of acoustics and placement. If
center channels in a quality system can do this i'm all for them. I
don't expect to have lot of people listening. Probably more like 3, but
i'm the audiophile in this family.

Bearcat