Re: [LAU] Fractally fuzzy music?

From: Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2010 - 11:23:41 EET

2010/2/25 <fons@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 06:30:02PM +0000, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Hope this makes sense? Apparently it sounds like a never ending rising
>> scale.
>
> It does. It works best if you use a dense set of notes moving
> over a range of several octaves. With just one or a few the
> fade-ins/outs at the start/end are quite apparent.
>
>> If anyone knows of a recording of this, I would be interested to hear
>> it; if not I might have a go at making one.
>
> I once made such a thing, it's fairly easy using Csound
> or similar. You just need a note that moves up (or down)
> at a constant speed, with a fade-in at the start and a
> fade-out at the end, then make it loop, then start a large
> number of these at different positions in the cycle.

There's also a rhythmic variant of Shepard tones called Risset
accelerando. This page has supercollider code to generate one from a
recorded beat, as well as an MP3 recording:

http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/826

When I read the OP I thought of this since it's a kind of self-similar
structure so might be thought of as fractal...

Dan

(Actually the code would probably do shepard tones as well as risset
rhythms, if you just feed it a constant tone as audio input)