Re: [LAU] A crazy idea

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 14:59:38 EET

Fons:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:39:40AM +0000, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
>
> > Nick Copeland suggested simulating the force applied to the pedals by
> > calculating the rate of change of the cadence. I reckon that might do
> > the trick.
>
> It doesn't. Just consider going uphill 5% or downhill 5% at
> the same and constant cadence. Makes some difference to your
> legs and to a motor.

Well, then you need an accelerometer [1]. [2] is said to be in the
iPhone, but you probably want something easier to solder.

With it you could get the inclination angle and then get the applied
force. If you do it right you could even get a crashing sound when
falling...

Regards,
/Karl

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer