Re: [LAU] A crazy idea

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 23:00:09 EET

> > > Nick Copeland suggested simulating the force applied to the pedals by
> > > calculating the rate of change of the cadence. I reckon that might do
> > > the trick.
> >
> > It doesn't. Just consider going uphill 5% or downhill 5% at
> > the same and constant cadence. Makes some difference to your
> > legs and to a motor.
>
> Well, then you need an accelerometer [1]. [2] is said to be in the
> iPhone, but you probably want something easier to solder.
>
> With it you could get the inclination angle and then get the applied
> force. If you do it right you could even get a crashing sound when
> falling...

Actually it does do the trick, Fons doesn't understand the british turn of
phrase: Jon is not implying an attempt to win the 2010 Tour de France
with his contraption, he is going to have fun on the way to work so I am sure
he can extract acceleration (from traffic lights, Fons, he doesn't actually want
to be the King of the Mountains or anything, not even give or take 5%) based
on the rate of change of a signal.

Regards, cynik.