Re: [LAU] A crazy idea

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 02:19:09 EET

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Folderol wrote:

> Also, use a short range photocell on the spokes (say 50mm). Easy to
> mount, reliable results with minimal effort. As these can usually
> respond up to 10-30kHz you won't have to worry about pedalling too
> fast :)

  Sensing the spokes measures vehicle speed, not pedaling speed, you'd want
your synth to drop to idle while you're coasting. I'm for a photocell
watching the crank sprocket teeth in the rear interval where there's no
chain.
   You also need to measure torque, or chain tension, to drive your synth's
volume. An idler with a load cell on the top of the chain between the
crank and the wheel can be used for a single-speed or three-speed in-hub
transmission, but if you have a rear derailleur, you'll need another fixed
idler between the sensor and the rear wheel. If you have a front
derailleur as well, it just gets too complicated...
   Maybe the accelerometer is simpler after all, even if you have to
compensate for incline. That's just math, not hardware.

--
Rick Green
                                   -Benjamin Franklin