Re: [LAU] changing for editing /etc/security/limits.conf in debian testing (ubuntu lucid)

From: Pablo Fernandez <pablo.fbus@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 15:09:30 EET

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM, rosea grammostola <
rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I heard from the Debian jackd maintainer:
> In Debian testing/ squeeze and very likely in Ubuntu lucid, it's not
> neccesary anymore to manual edit /etc/security/limits.conf! It's been
> automatically done by jackd in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf and it
> will conflict with /etc/security/limits.conf.

> Such things are good to know if you're member of the LAU community, and
> I feel communication is lacking often with these kind of things...
>
> Thank you. I have just installed lucid daily build. I had already added the
"rtprio 99" and "memlock unlimited" lines to /etc/security/limits.conf even
if, surprisingly for me, jackd does start with the -R option. I will undo it
before I restart the computer.

$ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 20
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 16382
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) unlimited
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

$ cat /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
# generated by jackd's postinst.
#
# Do not edit this file by hand, use
#
# dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd
#
# instead.
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19

I wonder about the nice value. It is there but commented out.
jackaudio.orgdon't even mention it. What is it for?

Cheers! Pablo