Re: [LAU] Album made with Linux - Kuun valtakunta

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Mar 07 2010 - 22:50:30 EET

Hello Tapani!
   It's a great album. I like the overall sound. Very present and surrounding.
That I think applies to all trakcs.
   The first track, I have already listened to before. I like its heaviness.
Although with the beginning I would have suspected somethiang even darker and
more menacing. Think film music. The The sound you used on every three
(couting in a slow 4/4 measure0 is very special.
   "Sininen kevA¤t" somehow holds some 70s appeal. the blues harp emphasises
that, if not make the impression appear from an even earlier epoch. By the
way; Do you like Pink Floyd? I don't like them, but that is something very
personal with me and them. But your music reminds me a bit of them. The slow
dampened atmosphere in your songs and the pad, that tie it all together
nicely. There's no blind spot in the panorama. Don't get me wrong: I can enjoy
this, PF is just a special case. :-)
   "MetsA¤npeitto". I like the drum loop. The sounds are nicely chosen. In
combination with the very spacy and glittery synth sounds, it builds a nice
contrast. Now you slipped from 70ish to synth pop 90ish in my ears. I llove
the sound build up around 2mins. Pitty it doesn't really crash. :-)
   The next song you also already posted before. In context of the album, it's
a nice lost son. :-) There's the melodic tie to the other pieces, but the
arrangement lets it stand apart a bit. It's a good thing. Makes it interesting
and keeps the attention and enjoyment. I'm really into this melody. It is
magical, capturing. Sweet in its own way, befits your soft voice and the soft
sounds. Well done!
   Don't ask me why, Tunturi especially reminds me of PF again. I possibly
couldn't answer, as I haven't listened to them actively for quite some time,
which - keeping in mind my antagonism to there music - is understandable.
Maybe it's the guitar sound and the way you play it. Still very grand
arrangement.
   the next one is I title I don't care about too much. Too 80s for my taste.
Which doesn't mean, that it's badly done. It is right on spot, if you were
looking for that impression. To trist, it captures the 80s melancholy and
hopelessness and coldness in expression. the sounds are all soft, but it
doesn't need to be crystal clear and biting off your ears, to be cold.
   the 7th track has nice guitar work. I like these finger picking patterns.
Very nice to link to patterns. They are't confusing, yet not empty and to
spaced out. Where did you take the choir sound from? together with the echolot
sound it sets this track nicely apart again. The build with the real snare
drum is great. The piece gains even more grandieur there.
   Iso Moottori doesn't really speak to me. Very meditative start. The
introduction of the cello is well done, it adds some warmth to the track,
which I was missing before.
   Nine pieces into the album and I met a strange one. So very electronic
background, with a soft inclination towards several genres, all well mixed in
the bowl and then carefully served. At first I expected it to turn into a kind
of computer/art music of a more popular persuasion. Then the guitars convinced
me of more 70s and finally the vocals turned me away from that thought. The
guitar effects are very nice by the way. So 70s. :-) And finally we have the
drum and bass drumkit. At least, what I'd call drum and bass. And it fits
perfectly with the rest. I'd still say, that the synth/organ like sound, is
not to my liking, but probably the only organ-like sound, you could fit in
there, while still keeping the doors open for the subtle changes. It isnj't
really, that the piece changed drastically, but that is appealing about it.
   "Palava uni" is again a track I can't really connect to. It's to bulky and
too seperate in its parts. Probably that might call out 80s to me again. But
I'm thinking more of 90s here. In my ears the bass would slide more to the
front and get a little more bite and crispness and the bass drum would have
more high frequencies, which would carry its attack, that would slim the sound
down considerably. But I guess that's talking about how to make an elephant
look more like a camel. :-)
   Akll in all, a nice album, I'll be sure to keep for more listenings. It all
ties together, has a good flow. Thank you for sharing this and especially for
giving me access to it as well.
   Warmly yours
           Julien

--------