[LAU] file system types for audio work, etc

From: sevol <sevols.ear@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 01:31:04 EET

Hi All,

I'm re-installing my audio desktop system & I'm curious how other's
have their's setup & organized. I'll be installing Fedora 12 64bit
with CCRMA Planet. The system will be a dual boot setup.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ (Socket AM2)
RAM: 4GB

This is what I've decided so far:

disk partition size file system type

sda /boot 200MB ext2
sda / 20GB ext3
sda /home 50GB ext3

sdb /influx ---GB ext3

sdc swap 4GB ext3
sbc /noise ---GB ext3

ummm... maybe.

the 'influx' partition is for audio session files I'm working on, &
'noise' is for various samples, loops, giga files, soundfonts, & field
recordings. All 3 drives are 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s hard
drives.

what's the best drive to place the swap partition on? the program
sessions drive (influx) or the sound samples one (noise?) I wont be
recording more than a couple tracks at a time. How important is drive
placement of swap?

Now, some of these following questions verge on the OT, I think:

Should I use LVM? I don't think I've ever used it. Is there any good
reason to use it, or not to, now?

Are people using ext4 on your audio systems? Advantages?

Is ext2 best for partitions containing files that change very little?

Should I actually bother with a seperate /boot partition?

In the past I've created a seperate /boot partition, but grub
defaulted elsewhere, & since it worked that way, I didn't look into
trying to reconfigure it. The actual /boot partition remained empty.
What are the advantages, if there are these days, in having a distinct
partition for grub?

Maybe I'm asking too many questions at once? & they also may seem
pretty basic, but nothing stays the same :) I'd like to sort this
stuff out before continuing, particularly the file system types used.
If anyone has pointers to a better way of setting things up, please
let me know. Or any up-to-date online audio-specific references
dealing with this would be great.

thanks,
                -s

Climbing a lot of little molehills is sort of like climbing a mountain.